Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Eve Online, and Star Wars


Well, it seems my love of Star Wars has translated, into Eve Online... An MMORPG game, and quite frankly, I probably don't need to pick up a new MMO, WoW ate my life for a while, and I don't really want to repeat that. But as luck would have it, they have a free trial, for which I have 10 days left. I feel a little jipped because a day of that free trial was taken up by expansion addition, but the expansions are free, and the world is mind bogglingly vast. Plus, it reminds me of Star Wars, and to me, that is priceless. I'm some sort of Caldari guy, and I'm splitting my time between killing pirates and mining, generally doing missions however. It's pretty fun, and I really like how I can read or write/work/study GRE's while mining. Hence why I split my time, I can mine in high security sectors while I get my work done, I've even done some lifting while mining. I also like how it will train your skill even if you are offline, although, I can see how later in the game, getting one more level on a skill could take like 20+ days and be really annoying. But hold on a second, my spellcheck doesn't know offline (or spellcheck for that matter), come on, this is the 21st century!
Speaking of Star Wars, I'm reading the final book of the Heir to the Empire series, and let me tell you, it is pretty damn amazing. There is a lot of stigma focused towards science fiction writers, even though they are the peak of the Geek Hierarchy, especially Star Wars authors or the like because their source material is not genuinely their own. Then again, who's is their own today, Star Wars was just a retelling of another story, which was a retelling of another story before it, just with extra flair. Some Star Wars etc. authors deserve this criticism as well, they really are poor authors, as far as published authors go anyway, but Timothy Zahn is pretty good. Look for a review or more in depth thoughts soon as I come to the close of the book. Also, be sure to check out Ebay Week over at Your Comic Relief!

No comments: