Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thoughts on the latest Indiana Jones film


Finally got to go see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull last night. All in all a pretty damn good movie, a good plot and a decent length (124 minutes). It was a good fun movie, with all the classic Indiana Jones stuntwork (note that I never saw ANY Indiana Jones movies until less than 6 months ago) and shenanigans. It was however, far less plausible than the previous three movies, which, in some cases does not say much. However, as a man of science (not scientology!) I am much more willing to suspend my disbelieve magic and aliens in a movie far more easily than I am to believe that Indy survives a nuclear bomb in a fridge, regardless of if the fridge was made of lead or not, the remains of Trinity, the first nuclear test was complete destruction. Following up with that, the fridge was blasted into the air and hit the ground, no, no, no that could never happen, and if it did, he'd never survive it. They also clean the radiation off of him with soap or something, but the radiation emitted from a nuclear blast is equivalent to several lifetimes of x-rays and the hemapoietic cells in his bone marrow (the ones that produce white blood cells) would be shot. But, I am nitpicking. The movie was excellent, Harrison Ford can still play Indiana Jones very well. There was even a "I have a bad feeling about this" line, which as a colossal Star Wars fan was a big deal to me. Also, as a fencer, the sword fight on two cars blew me away, it was expertly choreographed as well as well executed, alone with the side commentary. There is a spoiler concerning one of the characters, but honestly, I was negatively surprised by this and pretty much saw it coming the minute s/he became a main character. All in all, if you have not seen it yet, I would highly recommend it, each character plays their role well.

I'm also trying to get my recent trip to the Mets online (Johan Santana's 100th win!), but it just doesn't seem to want to get up there. The problem is that I have the pictures on one computer, which doesn't seem to have Microsoft office for some reason, and it doesn't want to put those pictures on the internet, nor can really email them at the resolution they are at. Confounding my problem is that the computer only has one USB slot (wtf Sony), and that is being used by the mouse; hopefully I can use my love of keyboard shortcuts to work this out. As always, thanks for reading.

No comments: